Skip to main content

Being thankful for being angry

It has been quite a while since I have blogged and this is for several reasons. As the semester sped up, I didn't have as much time to commit to writing for the blog. When I did have free time, I was spending most of it catching up on sleep or hanging out with my friends because, at school, they are only a few feet away. I also have been less inclined to blog lately because I have not been in the highest of spirits. The semester kicked up and I got stressed and I've been having a rough spell. I'm fainting much more often these days and I've been very frustrated. Even though I started this blog to create a venue for constructively letting these frustrations out, I'm still working on being comfortable with that. I don't want to over-complain or fall into a pattern of indulging in self pity. I don't want to spiral. 

But the problem is, just because I  wasn't writing about it or publishing these thoughts, I was still indulging in the emotions. I was still frustrated and I was still wrestling with anger and sadness every day because of my illness; I just wasn't letting it out. Towards the end of October, I was doing very well. I was fainting every couple days but I had more energy and higher spirit than I had had in months. I was going to Halloween parties and feeling like a normal college student again. Maybe I pushed myself too hard because as November rolled in, I began to crash. But, as I do, I fought it and pretended it wasn't happening. 

So far, November has been hard. As the fall semester comes to a close, I have to start making decisions about my plans in the spring. I'm also finding myself reaching realistic conclusions about my health. I've started to more seriously research Cardiac Alert dogs and other ways to ease the effects of my disability. 

I've been having a hard time counting my blessings. I know I have many: a home, the opportunity to get an education, great friends, a supportive family, etc. But sometimes when I am having a day riddled with migraines and pain and dizziness and the unwavering feeling of helplessness, it's hard to remember these things. Some days it is hard to remember anything other than anger. 

But a good friend of mine said something that resinated with me more than most pieces of advice these days. I was getting angry about my situation and I was sitting with him crying frustration tears and blubbering on about how helpless I feel and how I'm worried that I'm too angry all the time. I don't want to be an angry person. He told me that he is always relieved when I get angry about my situation. He told me that every time he sees me get frustrated and angry about being sick he knows that I'm still "in the game," because, according to him, "once you stop getting angry, it means you've given up." At least I still have the energy and will to care. 

It might sound weird, but this year, I am thankful for being angry. I'm thankful for friends who give me clarity when I need it. I'm thankful for bear hugs paired with tears of frustration. I'm thankful for top of the head kisses and foot stomping. 

I'm not going to say that I'm thankful for the journey I've been on this year. I'm not going to say that I'm thankful for Voldemort or getting sick. I'm not. I'm pissed off as hell that I'm sick. But I'm thankful for every hand that I've held while getting blood taken and every Get Well card and every beautiful person who gave me love this year. And I'm thankful for being angry. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My first trip to Johns Hopkins

Hello outside world! It's the end of Day 2 in Johns Hopkins and I just got my laptop so here's the update.  After my lovely weekend with my friends, I spent most of Sunday relaxing on the couch. My BP was not great (78/49) and I spent a lot of the afternoon working to raise it (If I ever liked Gatorade, I don't anymore). After dinner I felt very ill. I got nauseous, with very little energy. I could feel my BP dropping so I spent the evening in the wheelchair. my vision went blurry and I couldn't focus on anything. In the middle of a conversation with Ally, I fainted in my chair. My family worked to pick me up out of the chair and lay me flat to try to regain consciousness. I was out for about 3 minutes and then spent another 20 minutes going in and out. When I tried to get up to use the bathroom after resting, I fainted again. I couldn't stand or walk or hardly sit up.  So we went to the Emergency room at Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center on Monday morning....

Vanderbilt Dysautonomia Clinic

When I got my POTS diagnosis in July, I applied to the Vanderbilt Dysautonomia Clinic to try to find some answers. Since Dysautonomia is a field of medicine that is underfunded, under-researched, and fairly new as a diagnosis, there are not a lot of specialists, research clinics, or POTS-literate physicians. The clinics and specialists that do exists are swamped with patients and the wait-list is months long. I applied in July and my appointment was March 10th. My incredibly supportive parents drove me out to Nashville last week for my appointment at Vanderbilt Dysautonomia Clinic with Dr. Robertson. We spent the night with my aunt and uncle in Franklin and then arrived at the clinic Thursday morning at 7:30. First I had a blood volume test. This consisted of using an IV line to take blood samples, administer a radioactive substance into my line, and then take more blood samples in 6 minute intervals. The purpose of this was to measure how the radioactive substance was diluted in ...

Another road

I haven't posted on my blog in a very long time. I promised myself when I started this blog that I wouldn't neglect it. When I started it in the depths of my illness, when I was the sickest I'd ever been, I found that blogging was therapeutic and cathartic but it was also hard. So I promised myself that no matter how busy or tired or stressed I was, I would make time for my blog. I knew it was good for me. But I made another promise. I promised myself that I wouldn't let my blog become an echobox of self pity or whining or complaining or self-indulgent gloominess. I was going to write from a place of honesty but I was also going to write from a place of hope. Lately, these two promises have been in competition with each other. During my winter break I celebrated my first Christmas with my illness. My first New Years. I had a hard time balancing my health and my strong desire to celebrate and live normally. I'm still having trouble accepting my new normal, espec...