Skip to main content

Dysautonomia Awareness Month

Sometimes, the hardest part about being sick the way that I am is that on most days, I don't look sick. I suffer from an invisible illness. Those who I haven't told, don't know that I'm sick and those who do know, rarely understand the severity. 

In my last few months, I have felt misunderstood, doubted, and judged because I can't do what a healthy person can...and yet, I look healthy. Managing my invisible illness, neurocardiogenic syncope (whether from a virus producing POTS or from my pituitary macroadenoma) would be significantly easier, if people understood it. Unfortunately, I have rarely met anyone who has any familiarity with dysautonomia. 

Dysautonomia is an umbrella term used to describe several different medical conditions that cause a malfunction of the Autonomic Nervous System. The autonomic nervous system controls "automatic" functions of the body like heart rate, blood pressure, digestion, pupil dilation and constriction, kidney function, and temperature control. 

People with dysautonomia, dysfunction of the autonomic nervous system, have trouble regulating these systems, resulting in lightheadedness, fainting, unstable blood pressure, abnormal heart rates, inability to control temperature, and a slew of other seemingly unrelated symptoms. 

Over 70 million people suffer from various forms and degrees of dysautonomia worldwide. Unfortunately, there is no none cure for dysautonomia and despite the high prevalence of dysautonomia, most patients take years to get diagnosed due to a lack of awareness amongst the public within the medical profession. 

I can't do much about my illness. I do PT and I take my meds and I hydrate as best as I can, but I'm out of other options. But I can work to spread awareness so that hopefully, one day, the future Toris out there won't have to give up trips to Scotland. 

October is Dysautonomia Awareness Month! I will be posting more about dysautonomia throughout the month to share information, resources, personal stories of other patients, and general encouragement for the community suffering from autonomic dysfunction. 

So look forward to more information about dysautonomia all month long! 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My first trip to Johns Hopkins

Hello outside world! It's the end of Day 2 in Johns Hopkins and I just got my laptop so here's the update.  After my lovely weekend with my friends, I spent most of Sunday relaxing on the couch. My BP was not great (78/49) and I spent a lot of the afternoon working to raise it (If I ever liked Gatorade, I don't anymore). After dinner I felt very ill. I got nauseous, with very little energy. I could feel my BP dropping so I spent the evening in the wheelchair. my vision went blurry and I couldn't focus on anything. In the middle of a conversation with Ally, I fainted in my chair. My family worked to pick me up out of the chair and lay me flat to try to regain consciousness. I was out for about 3 minutes and then spent another 20 minutes going in and out. When I tried to get up to use the bathroom after resting, I fainted again. I couldn't stand or walk or hardly sit up.  So we went to the Emergency room at Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center on Monday morning....

A new chapter and a new partner

It's been almost 2 years since I have posted to this blog. Believe me, I have tried. I have about 25 saved draft posts that never got published because they ended up sounding like the same repetitive story. Another pattern of rumination. Another soliloquy of self pity.  That's because the last three years of my life have been fairly cyclical and unchanged. I have a few good weeks where my symptoms plateau and I faint only once or twice a month. Then, a storm hits. I get a cold and I crash into a regressive phase where I faint daily, injury myself, get frustrated, and then slowly move back up to the plateau.  I have been tired and frustrated as I put grad school on pause, as I continue living with my parents, as I take three steps forward 2 steps back. So I stopped blogging and started to do what I could to move forward, pretending I am not sick, and working on ways to get healthier like a normal 24 year old. But still on pause.  But over the last few weeks, ...

Fall update

Okay, so I'm starting to run out of ways to say "I haven't written in a while." I have also run out of excuses. The last time I wrote, I had the excuse that I didn't have any internet all summer so I couldn't post. Well...I moved out of that house August 15th...so that doesn't work. No excuses. I'll just catch you up. I spent the last month of my job at WAC in a cute 1 bedroom apartment in Chestertown. I got to live alone, cook for myself, shamelessly sing in the shower, and host girls-only wine nights. It was a lot of fun but by late September, I was ready to move on from WAC. So I did. Yesterday, I started a new job as the Legislative Director of a Delegate for the Maryland General Assmebly. Onward and upward.  But first, I'll make it up to you for neglecting you for so long. Feast your eyes on a photo-list of all the wonderful happenings since mid-July.  1. I helped one of the best people I know move out of his house in Chestertown and ...