Skip to main content

May Day!

Today is May 1st. While some people at my liberal arts college might be excited for their nudity-ridden May Day traditions, that is not the focus of my excitement today.

Today is the first day of Lyme Disease Awareness Month! For the next 31 days, communities brought together by this terrible disease will work tirelessly to bring awareness, education, funds, and advocacy to this important issue. These patients and activists work year round but this month is the time for everyone else to join them.

I will be continuing using my social media platform and this blog to spread awareness all month long. I will also be participating in a 5K for Lyme Nat Cap on May 15th. Across the country, there will be many many other events for you or your allies to partake in. Fighting chronic Lyme can be isolating and devastating but we are not alone in this fight! I hope we can all come together this May to move forward, closer to a world without Lyme!

Events to look forward to:

Monday
Tuesday
Wednesday
Thursday
Friday
Saturday
Sunday
1






First day of the Lyme Disease “Take a bite out of Lyme” Challenge
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
Two Frogs Healing Center-Getting Rid of #Lyme –Frederick, Maryland


Life in Lyme Light
Share your story
Fact Friday: Share a Lyme fact on social media
Lyme Disease Conference at Binghamton University, Binghamton, NY

Story Spotlight Sunday!
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
#MancrushMonday
Thank you to Justin Timberlake
Worldwide Lyme Disease (and co-infection) Protest

ME/CFS/Lyme Day!
#May12
Fact Friday: Share a Lyme fact on social media
Tick-borne Disease Patient Symposium, Lancaster, PA

2nd Annual Lyme Disease Awareness 5K –Clover, SC

Loudon Lyme 5K/10K/1K Race

Story Spotlight Sunday!
16
17
18
19
20
21
22



May Day Project Conference
Rally!
May Day Project Conference
May Day Project Conference
Story Spotlight Sunday!
23
24
25
Lyme Disease Benefit for Tick-Borne Disease Resource Center

26
27
Fact Friday: Share a Lyme fact on social media
28
29
Story Spotlight Sunday!







30
31






Lyme Disease Awareness recap!





































I will also be hosting several guest bloggers who I've met throughout my journey to health including fellow patients, helpful doctors, and the CEO and co-founder of a patient driven PICC cover company.

Please feel free to share your stories with me or tell me about events going on this month that I missed! Good luck, warriors!

Join my team!

The May Day Project

May Day CDC Rally!

Lyme Disease Conference at Binghamton University

Tick-borne Disease Patient Symposium, Lancaster, PA

Lyme Disease Benefit

Getting Rid of #Lyme Disease Pain, Fatigue, and Mental Fog

2nd Annual Lyme Awareness 5K SC

Worldwide Lyme Protest

Share your story!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My first trip to Johns Hopkins

Hello outside world! It's the end of Day 2 in Johns Hopkins and I just got my laptop so here's the update.  After my lovely weekend with my friends, I spent most of Sunday relaxing on the couch. My BP was not great (78/49) and I spent a lot of the afternoon working to raise it (If I ever liked Gatorade, I don't anymore). After dinner I felt very ill. I got nauseous, with very little energy. I could feel my BP dropping so I spent the evening in the wheelchair. my vision went blurry and I couldn't focus on anything. In the middle of a conversation with Ally, I fainted in my chair. My family worked to pick me up out of the chair and lay me flat to try to regain consciousness. I was out for about 3 minutes and then spent another 20 minutes going in and out. When I tried to get up to use the bathroom after resting, I fainted again. I couldn't stand or walk or hardly sit up.  So we went to the Emergency room at Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center on Monday morning....

Vanderbilt Dysautonomia Clinic

When I got my POTS diagnosis in July, I applied to the Vanderbilt Dysautonomia Clinic to try to find some answers. Since Dysautonomia is a field of medicine that is underfunded, under-researched, and fairly new as a diagnosis, there are not a lot of specialists, research clinics, or POTS-literate physicians. The clinics and specialists that do exists are swamped with patients and the wait-list is months long. I applied in July and my appointment was March 10th. My incredibly supportive parents drove me out to Nashville last week for my appointment at Vanderbilt Dysautonomia Clinic with Dr. Robertson. We spent the night with my aunt and uncle in Franklin and then arrived at the clinic Thursday morning at 7:30. First I had a blood volume test. This consisted of using an IV line to take blood samples, administer a radioactive substance into my line, and then take more blood samples in 6 minute intervals. The purpose of this was to measure how the radioactive substance was diluted in ...

Another road

I haven't posted on my blog in a very long time. I promised myself when I started this blog that I wouldn't neglect it. When I started it in the depths of my illness, when I was the sickest I'd ever been, I found that blogging was therapeutic and cathartic but it was also hard. So I promised myself that no matter how busy or tired or stressed I was, I would make time for my blog. I knew it was good for me. But I made another promise. I promised myself that I wouldn't let my blog become an echobox of self pity or whining or complaining or self-indulgent gloominess. I was going to write from a place of honesty but I was also going to write from a place of hope. Lately, these two promises have been in competition with each other. During my winter break I celebrated my first Christmas with my illness. My first New Years. I had a hard time balancing my health and my strong desire to celebrate and live normally. I'm still having trouble accepting my new normal, espec...