As it is with every New Year, my newsfeed has been covered with reflections of 2015 and resolutions and promises for 2016 this week. As I watch the hardest year of my life come to a close, I can't say that I am even slightly sentimental. 2015 was an asshole and I'm not going to miss it at all. I walk into 2016 beaten and bruised from all the bullcrap that 2015 put me through. Though I am trying to be hopeful for a better year, I am facing 2016 with the reasonable expectation that it could be just as challenging, but this time I'm a bit more prepared and a heck of a lot stronger. So I've made a decision.
As the longevity of my disability has become more and more apparent, I have begun making plans revolving around my new normal. I started with the investment of the wheelchair. I had to plan a way to make it through the semester at school with my limited independence and mobility. Now, I'm looking more than a few months ahead. I'm coming to terms with the cards I have been dealt and it's time for me to figure the hand I will play.
I am applying for a cardiac alert service dog. I have researched several companies and I have been applying during this winter break. I am hoping that with the help of a service dog, I can regain some independence and move forward with my life. Where I am now, I cannot drive or travel alone; I am dependent on the help of those around me and I know that it will be difficult for me to start a career with these limitations.
The process to get a service dog will be a long one and I know that I have many hoops to jump through but I'm hopeful that this could be a great step for me in my new life. Beyond the obvious advantages of regaining independence and opportunity, having a canine partner during this more challenging chapter in my life could bring me some much needed joy.
As always, I will keep you posted as this develops. Right now, I'm focusing on the financial planning surrounding this change, the long application process, and the cute pictures of service dogs that I can find on the Internet.
As the longevity of my disability has become more and more apparent, I have begun making plans revolving around my new normal. I started with the investment of the wheelchair. I had to plan a way to make it through the semester at school with my limited independence and mobility. Now, I'm looking more than a few months ahead. I'm coming to terms with the cards I have been dealt and it's time for me to figure the hand I will play.
I am applying for a cardiac alert service dog. I have researched several companies and I have been applying during this winter break. I am hoping that with the help of a service dog, I can regain some independence and move forward with my life. Where I am now, I cannot drive or travel alone; I am dependent on the help of those around me and I know that it will be difficult for me to start a career with these limitations.
The process to get a service dog will be a long one and I know that I have many hoops to jump through but I'm hopeful that this could be a great step for me in my new life. Beyond the obvious advantages of regaining independence and opportunity, having a canine partner during this more challenging chapter in my life could bring me some much needed joy.
As always, I will keep you posted as this develops. Right now, I'm focusing on the financial planning surrounding this change, the long application process, and the cute pictures of service dogs that I can find on the Internet.
Comments
Post a Comment