Okay, fair warning: This post is going to consist of me rambling about being a huge baby when it comes to needles and tests.
I went to a new cardiologist and neurologist yesterday. Two appointments for a total of 4 hours of answering the same questions for the 100th time.
In addition to the usual recommendations (drink more water, eat more salt, stand up slowly) both doctors ordered a slew of new tests. Luckily, I have nothing better to do than sit in an MRI machine for several hours.
Between the two doctors I have the following tests to do:
I went to a new cardiologist and neurologist yesterday. Two appointments for a total of 4 hours of answering the same questions for the 100th time.
In addition to the usual recommendations (drink more water, eat more salt, stand up slowly) both doctors ordered a slew of new tests. Luckily, I have nothing better to do than sit in an MRI machine for several hours.
Between the two doctors I have the following tests to do:
- MRI (brain) with and without contrast
- MRI focus on pituitary gland
- MRI with orbits
- MRI cervical
- MRI thoracic
- MRI lumbar
- Carotid ultrasound
- More blood work
- Ophthalmology evaluation
- Tilt table test
- Electrophysiologist evaluation
- Stress test
- Another Holter monitor
So I've had a ophthalmology evaluation before and I'm not too worried about that, except when they blow in your eye--that's just obnoxious. I've had several ultrasounds for my gut and heart so that is not too worrisome. Blood work is blood work and needles suck but I'll deal. But apparently I have to run for this stress test thing. I hate running. I'm a yoga girl.
But here's where I become a wimp. I HATE IVs. They hurt and they are creepy and they stress me out. To do my MRI with contrast I have to have an IV giving me gadolinium medium to help the irregular tissues in my brain light up better in the MRI. Okay. 1. That's creepy and terrifying. 2. I HATE IVs. 3. We're just okay with putting some weird mineral medium into my brain?!!?? WHAT IS THIS?!
I've only had an IV a couple times, every time I went to the hospital last fall with pneumonia, mono and strep, and when I had my colonoscopy/endoscopy. Both times hurt and I'm still scared. Yes, I know I'm 20 years old and should have gotten over this, but I haven't. Leave me alone.
Now, the 3 hours worth of MRIs I have to do. Luckily they are broken up into two days, tomorrow and Monday. But still, that's a lot of time to lay still in a tube that looks like a spaceship. Am I really suppose to lay still for that long and not pretend I'm in a rocket-ship?! Come on, let me have some fun. Also, I feel like this is when I'm going to find that dime I shoved up my nose when I was 2.
The Holter monitor is an old friend of mine. When I first started fainting I wore one for a while. It's just a monitor that I wear to track my heart rhythms and such. It's actually kinda fun and gives me an excuse to call myself Iron Man. Downside, the sticky patches that attach the electrodes to your body gave me a rash and hurt to rip off. And a girl in my French class asked me if I was dying when it beeped in class. I said yes.
Finally, the tilt table test. This is a test used to diagnose syncope (you know, besides the test where you hear a thud, look over, and see me passed out on the ground). I've heard a lot about this test from other blogs, research, and all my cardiologists but this is the first time I've been order one. It's basically exactly like it sounds, I will be strapped onto a table and they will be monitoring my heart and nerve signals and vitals while tilting me at different angles. I'm going to be honest, it kind of sounds like fun.
Comments
Post a Comment