After my first MRI (the one of my brain and focus and contrast on the pituitary gland), my neurologist called me in for a follow up appointment. Most of my tests weren't finished and lab results hadn't come back so we knew that this meant they saw something on the first MRI so I was prepared to receive a diagnosis or a new lead.
A couple days ago, I was diagnosed with a pituitary macroadenoma. This is a tumor on the pituitary gland. More times than not, this type of tumor is benign. However, the size of my tumor, 8 x 9.6 x 12 mm, indicates that it is invasive and is affecting the function of my pituitary gland. It is also encroaching upon the base of the central optic chiasm and cavernous sinus.
The enlargement of the pituitary gland and its proximity to the optic nerves is the cause of my vision spots and decreased peripheral vision. Because the pituitary gland regulates hormones, the tumor has affected my digestive system, as serotonin contributes to digestion. The pituitary gland also contributes to blood pressure control, leading to my fainting and syncope episodes. Various other symptoms can be explained by the changes of hormone production and regulation due to the tumor.
From here we will meet with a team from Johns Hopkins, which will include a neurosurgeon, endocrinologist, and an ophthalmologist, and decided where to go next. Based on the size of my tumor and the symptoms I am experiencing, we will most likely move forward to surgery as soon as possible.
I'm still waiting on some labs to determine the nature of the tumor and such, as well as waiting to hear from JH, but as I learn more, I will continue to blog the experience and keep everyone posted. For now, I'm holding onto the relief of an answer and hope that once this is taken care of I can be that much closer to a healthy life. Luckily, I've still got a lot of fight left in me.
A couple days ago, I was diagnosed with a pituitary macroadenoma. This is a tumor on the pituitary gland. More times than not, this type of tumor is benign. However, the size of my tumor, 8 x 9.6 x 12 mm, indicates that it is invasive and is affecting the function of my pituitary gland. It is also encroaching upon the base of the central optic chiasm and cavernous sinus.
The enlargement of the pituitary gland and its proximity to the optic nerves is the cause of my vision spots and decreased peripheral vision. Because the pituitary gland regulates hormones, the tumor has affected my digestive system, as serotonin contributes to digestion. The pituitary gland also contributes to blood pressure control, leading to my fainting and syncope episodes. Various other symptoms can be explained by the changes of hormone production and regulation due to the tumor.
From here we will meet with a team from Johns Hopkins, which will include a neurosurgeon, endocrinologist, and an ophthalmologist, and decided where to go next. Based on the size of my tumor and the symptoms I am experiencing, we will most likely move forward to surgery as soon as possible.
I'm still waiting on some labs to determine the nature of the tumor and such, as well as waiting to hear from JH, but as I learn more, I will continue to blog the experience and keep everyone posted. For now, I'm holding onto the relief of an answer and hope that once this is taken care of I can be that much closer to a healthy life. Luckily, I've still got a lot of fight left in me.
Comments
Post a Comment