WARNING: This is going to be ranty and a little obnoxious.
I've always considered myself very lucky in many departments; I grew up with enough to eat, we weren't rich but we always made ends me, my parents are super cool (dorky as hell, but still really cool), my sisters are two of my best friends, I have had great opportunities in education and life in general, and because of my mom's job as a teacher, I have health insurance.
For the majority of my life I have been blessed with fairly inclusive health insurance. I could go to the dentist when I needed to. I could go to the doctor when I was sick. I wasn't afraid of needing to get a prescription, because the insurance would cover it.
I'm lucky. And I'm one of few with that much luck. But still, I face hurdle after hurdle after hurdle to treat my syncope.
My team at JH decided that my best treatment plan would rely heavily on POTS specific PT. That's great. But here's the issue: 1. No one knows what the hell POTS is. 2. The specialists are all in pediatric units and won't accept 20 year olds. 3. Half the PTs in this area don't take my insurance. 4. The specialists who will take adults and my insurance are no longer taking new patients.
I've been out of the hospital for a week. I have seen one PT, she had no idea how PT would help POTS. I have called about a dozen offices and have been rejected about a dozen times.
It's fine guys, I didn't like standing anyway. I'll just be over here in the wheelchair crying.
And don't even get me started on my feelings about Johns Hopkins care...
I've always considered myself very lucky in many departments; I grew up with enough to eat, we weren't rich but we always made ends me, my parents are super cool (dorky as hell, but still really cool), my sisters are two of my best friends, I have had great opportunities in education and life in general, and because of my mom's job as a teacher, I have health insurance.
For the majority of my life I have been blessed with fairly inclusive health insurance. I could go to the dentist when I needed to. I could go to the doctor when I was sick. I wasn't afraid of needing to get a prescription, because the insurance would cover it.
I'm lucky. And I'm one of few with that much luck. But still, I face hurdle after hurdle after hurdle to treat my syncope.
My team at JH decided that my best treatment plan would rely heavily on POTS specific PT. That's great. But here's the issue: 1. No one knows what the hell POTS is. 2. The specialists are all in pediatric units and won't accept 20 year olds. 3. Half the PTs in this area don't take my insurance. 4. The specialists who will take adults and my insurance are no longer taking new patients.
I've been out of the hospital for a week. I have seen one PT, she had no idea how PT would help POTS. I have called about a dozen offices and have been rejected about a dozen times.
It's fine guys, I didn't like standing anyway. I'll just be over here in the wheelchair crying.
And don't even get me started on my feelings about Johns Hopkins care...
Comments
Post a Comment