We finally found a PT!
After asking around on the POTS Facebook page, I found a physical therapy office in Jarretsville, Maryland called McLaughlin Physical Therapy. The owner, Kevin McLaughlin, has 6 or 7 POTS patients and is pretty familiar with the exercises and therapy needed to help work against the mechanisms of POTS or neurocardiogenic syncope.
In his evaluation yesterday he determined that my posture could be improved to help the blood flow to my brain. Apparently my shoulders turn in too much, but since I am young, we can train them not to. He says this can happen from being on the computer, reading, or leaning over too much. I guess my years of leaning over a book are catching up to me.
He also noticed that my right shoulder is pulled back abnormally, indicating a weakness in my rotator cuff. I explained that in May 2013 I ripped my rotator cuff. I was hoping that he wouldn't ask how, but of course he did. Sports? Nope. Lifting something heavy? Nope. Riding a mechanical bull? Maybe...
We will also work to build up my leg muscles to help constrict my leg veins. This will increase the return of blood to my head and decrease the amount of blood pooling in the legs.
I will be going to PT twice a week. It's an hour and a half drive and we have a copay every time, but he is our best option since he's the only one who has even heard of PT for syncope.
Small steps, but steps nonetheless.
After asking around on the POTS Facebook page, I found a physical therapy office in Jarretsville, Maryland called McLaughlin Physical Therapy. The owner, Kevin McLaughlin, has 6 or 7 POTS patients and is pretty familiar with the exercises and therapy needed to help work against the mechanisms of POTS or neurocardiogenic syncope.
In his evaluation yesterday he determined that my posture could be improved to help the blood flow to my brain. Apparently my shoulders turn in too much, but since I am young, we can train them not to. He says this can happen from being on the computer, reading, or leaning over too much. I guess my years of leaning over a book are catching up to me.
He also noticed that my right shoulder is pulled back abnormally, indicating a weakness in my rotator cuff. I explained that in May 2013 I ripped my rotator cuff. I was hoping that he wouldn't ask how, but of course he did. Sports? Nope. Lifting something heavy? Nope. Riding a mechanical bull? Maybe...
We will also work to build up my leg muscles to help constrict my leg veins. This will increase the return of blood to my head and decrease the amount of blood pooling in the legs.
I will be going to PT twice a week. It's an hour and a half drive and we have a copay every time, but he is our best option since he's the only one who has even heard of PT for syncope.
Small steps, but steps nonetheless.
Comments
Post a Comment