Skip to main content

Peer Mentor Training

As I mentioned, I have returned to WAC a week early to train as a Peer Mentor. The Peer Mentor program is designed to match upperclassmen with first year students during orientation and the first semester so that the first year students have someone to guide them through their transition. This is my second year as a PM and I really enjoy it. Two of my suite mates and a bunch of my other friends are also PMs, so training and orientation is a blast!

We started training on Friday. Then, on Saturday, we went to Echo Hill (http://www.ehos.org/) for a bonding retreat. Now we are back in the classroom, training until the freshman arrive on Thursday. I've been using this time to practice in the wheelchair and experiment with my walking abilities around campus before everyone else arrives. I'm getting pretty good but there are still many of parts on campus that are too steep for me.

Peer Mentor training is surprisingly fun and exciting. Although we have several boring sessions a day to learn about offices and resources on campus, we also spend our evenings preparing for orientation, bonding with our team of mentors, and having fun. I love the beginning of the school year because it is crisp with anticipation of the upcoming semester and excitement from seeing friends after summer.

Although this semester is a bit different for me, there are still many aspects that are bright and exciting. I love so many of the PMs this year and it's been a great time getting to know them. It's also been yet another reminder of how kind and considerate people can be. As I'm struggling to adapt to wheelchair life, people are stepping up more than ever to show how much they care. I knew my close knit group of friends would be my life-savers this semester but I didn't really realize how eager everyone else would be to help me.

When I'm using my chair, fellow PMs are constantly moving things out of my way, holding doors, and offering to push me up hills whenever I need it. When I am walking on my own, they are looking out for me in case I faint. Today, I finally was able to push myself up my the main hill on campus, known as Cater Walk, on my own. I was slow doing it and I had spotters ready to help the whole time, but I did it.

When I got to lunch, I told the table of PMs that I did this and I got high fives and congratulations. It feels good to be even slightly independent again, but it also feels good to have people on my side with every step towards independence.

Anna showed me once again how unconditionally and unwaveringly she loves me. She's already sat with me twice during mini break downs of "I can't do this" and "I just want my life back." She's taken charge every time I've fainted. Today, she woke up early and took me to a 7:30 am appointment for blood work. Then she pushed me and my wheelchair back home when I was too tired to do it myself. One day, I'll figure out a way to show her how much all she does for me means to me.


Side note, here's a picture of Caleb pushing me in my wheelchair in the pouring rain. #friendshipgoals


Comments