Friends,
Today was difficult. It was difficult because it was my first trial with the wheelchair on my school (WAC)'s campus. As lovely and aesthetically pleasing the 300 year old campus may be, it is not exactly wheelchair friendly. I had a lot of difficulty going up and down hills with uneven brick paths. I also found out how inconveniently placed all the elevators are in buildings.
But it was also difficult because it was the rude awakening to a hopeful dream of an easy return. It was the first day of a long, challenging semester ahead. I have been spoiled with the hardwood floors in my house and the even terrain I've been wheeling around all summer. Now, I have to adjust to the much more challenging environment I will be living in.
It was also my first day waking up at 6 am and having a constant stream of activity since I've gotten sick. I have been spoiled with low activity days and mental rest. Today, I remembered how tolling it can all be. By the time I got home at 6:30 today, I was exhausted. Once again, this is just a sample of what I will be facing when I return in 2 weeks.
Today I met with the faculty and staff at WAC to discuss the possibility of my return. Since I have reached a stalemate in treatment ("Yes you have a brain tumor. Yes, it could be causing this. But the treatment available right now will only make it worse."), we have decided that I should continue doing everything I can to minimize and stabilize the symptoms until I can pursue longterm solutions. Therefore, I'm left with the necessity of PT, water, fluids, and medication--all of which, can be done at school. So...my life of pause will soon shift.
I met with the Dean of academics, my boss, the Health Center, and the Office of Academic Skills. We went over my options for enrollment and I decided to only take the credits I need (12) instead of overloading like I usually do (last year I took 22 credits each semester). I will be in a suite with my friends that is handicap accessible. I will have regular check ups with the Health Center as well as my regular team of doctors. We are designing an Emergency plan and several reference binders for the local hospital, public safety, and my room. We discussed the accommodations that will be necessary and how I will safely continue my education.
End result: I will be returning. It will be difficult and exhausting, but it will be worth it. I was not born for a life of pause. As scary as it will be, I cannot wait to get back to school and back to doing what I love.
Today was difficult. It was difficult because it was my first trial with the wheelchair on my school (WAC)'s campus. As lovely and aesthetically pleasing the 300 year old campus may be, it is not exactly wheelchair friendly. I had a lot of difficulty going up and down hills with uneven brick paths. I also found out how inconveniently placed all the elevators are in buildings.
But it was also difficult because it was the rude awakening to a hopeful dream of an easy return. It was the first day of a long, challenging semester ahead. I have been spoiled with the hardwood floors in my house and the even terrain I've been wheeling around all summer. Now, I have to adjust to the much more challenging environment I will be living in.
It was also my first day waking up at 6 am and having a constant stream of activity since I've gotten sick. I have been spoiled with low activity days and mental rest. Today, I remembered how tolling it can all be. By the time I got home at 6:30 today, I was exhausted. Once again, this is just a sample of what I will be facing when I return in 2 weeks.
Today I met with the faculty and staff at WAC to discuss the possibility of my return. Since I have reached a stalemate in treatment ("Yes you have a brain tumor. Yes, it could be causing this. But the treatment available right now will only make it worse."), we have decided that I should continue doing everything I can to minimize and stabilize the symptoms until I can pursue longterm solutions. Therefore, I'm left with the necessity of PT, water, fluids, and medication--all of which, can be done at school. So...my life of pause will soon shift.
I met with the Dean of academics, my boss, the Health Center, and the Office of Academic Skills. We went over my options for enrollment and I decided to only take the credits I need (12) instead of overloading like I usually do (last year I took 22 credits each semester). I will be in a suite with my friends that is handicap accessible. I will have regular check ups with the Health Center as well as my regular team of doctors. We are designing an Emergency plan and several reference binders for the local hospital, public safety, and my room. We discussed the accommodations that will be necessary and how I will safely continue my education.
End result: I will be returning. It will be difficult and exhausting, but it will be worth it. I was not born for a life of pause. As scary as it will be, I cannot wait to get back to school and back to doing what I love.
Comments
Post a Comment